Seal Your Criminal Record

Having a criminal history can affect you when you least expect it and can have bigger consequences than you would imagine. You may have difficulty renting an apartment. You may run into problems getting a professional license. You may be unable to secure employment for which you are otherwise qualified. Your mug shot may show up whenever your driver’s license is scanned.

At Boswell Legal Group, we understand the impact that a criminal conviction can have on your life. We have extensive experience helping clients minimize the impact of a criminal conviction through non-disclosure orders. This is an order that seals an individual’s criminal history from public inspection.

To find out more about non-disclosure orders, please contact our law office by calling 940-382-4711 or 1-800-927-4652 toll-free.

Non-Disclosure Orders

Non-disclosure orders are available to those who have successfully completed deferred adjudication probation. A petition for order of non-disclosure asks the court to seal your record from the public.

Non-disclosure is effective, although it is not as comprehensive as an expunction because your file remains intact for governmental purposes. It is important to remember that there are waiting periods for some non-disclosures.

Applying for Non-Disclosure

There are a number of eligibility requirements that must be met in order to apply for a non-disclosure order. Our firm can help you determine whether you are eligible, and if so, assist you in applying. It is important that all paperwork is done correctly. Depending on your criminal history, you may have to wait a certain amount of time before applying.

If you are successful in obtaining a non-disclosure order, you can move beyond your criminal history. Because a non-disclosure order seals your record from public view, you can be confident when applying for a job, renting an apartment or submitting to a background check.

**New 2017 Texas DWI Non-Disclosure Law Changes

New Texas HB 3016 Allows First-time Offenders to Petition to Seal Their DWI

Anyone who has ever been convicted of a serious crime knows that one of the worst consequences is living with a criminal record. This can haunt you for many years after the fines, service, and/or jail time have gone away. A criminal record can interfere with your future in many ways, including preventing you from working in specific fields and living in certain areas. Texas law makers have recently discussed how harsh a criminal record can be for first-time offenders and have decided to expand the rules that allow for criminal offenders to petition for an order of non-disclosure to seal their criminal records.

Starting in September of 2017, some first time DWI offenders will be able to petition to have their DWI offense and all the criminal records surrounding this charged sealed from the public eye. This means that a potential employer or landlord who runs a background check on you will not be able to see the offense and you will not be legally required to reveal it to them. However, such an order of nondisclosure does not seal your records from local, state, and federal law enforcement officers, nor does it seal it from employers hiring for government jobs.

Eligibility Requirements to Seal Your DWI for HB 3016

Not everyone who has is charged with a DWI will be able to apply to have the offense sealed according to the new law. In fact, it has some strict eligibility guidelines that must be met in order to successfully petition the court:

  • Your BAC must have been no higher than 0.15 to be eligible to have your DWI sealed
  • You must not have any other convictions or probations on your record. This does not include traffic violations.
  • You must have already satisfied the conditions of and paid all court fees, restitution, jail time, service, etc. in your case.
  • The DWI offense cannot have resulted in an auto accident involving another individual.
  • One of two waiting periods must be satisfied:
    • All persons wishing to seal their DWI offense must wait until 5 years after they have finished serving their sentence.
    • The only exception is for individuals who completed at least 6 months of court-ordered conditions that includes the use of an ignition-lock device.

Keep in mind that if the prosecutor in your case argued sufficiently that your DWI caused an accident with another individual, your petition will be denied.

Contact Our Denton Law Office at 940-382-4711 For a Free Evaluation of Your DWI Case To Find Out If You Are Eligible To Seal Your DWI Record.